Legal Considerations for Self Employed Health Practitioners


Please note, we are not legal experts. This webpage is a guide of a few things to think about.


Self Employment

Self Employed Health Practitioners are classed as “Sole Traders” under UK Income Tax which is regulated and collected by HMRC.

You are “in business” or “running a business”, even if you are providing your services to a clinic.

You can keep the profits of the business, and you are responsible for the Income Tax and National Insurance.

You are personally responsible for any losses your business makes and paying suppliers.


Tax Returns

You need to:




Useful Links:

HMRC: Self Employed status check

Apply for a National Insurance number